Tuesday 3 July 2012

The 109 is found.

After a few weeks of scouring every Land Rover forum, eBay, Gumtree and free magazine I finally came upon a tax exempt Series 2a 109 in Cambridge. I say came up on, as it had pretty much passed me by. I hadn't been watching it, it just came up ona quick search during my lunch hour. It was £500 with a minute left. Sod it. £510.00 bid. Just in case.

I should clarify that I wasn't that bothered. It was too far away and £500 was top of my budget anyway. History seems to show that £500 with a minute left rapidly increases to £650 before the end as all the last minute snipes find their mark. In no way did I expect to win.

But I did.

Bugger. I've just spent top-whack on a wreck that's been sat in a field in Cambridge for 6 years. 200 and odd miles away. Bugger, bugger, bugger.

The description sounded familiar though:

"Ok, so the story with this is I bought it by mistake. Well that's what I told my wife! Went shopping and bought a land rover. Hmmm worryingly she believed me. Last time I went for potatoes I came back with an army landy so in my life anything happens! Thing is I have too many and not enough time. This has sat for about 4 years and the person sold it to me to do a couple of months back. I know it will not be this summer and I need my money out of it before then to cover some other crazy idea projects. So..... Having had a quick look at it. It has a divider between cab and back so nice and secure. The engine runs nicely. It goes into gear....reverse! Will need a battery. Needs welding to the chassis. One leaf spring has a crack in it. A side window was smashed by kids who also mangled the gear stick somehow feels like the gear gates are at 90' to where they should be. So in a nut shell. If I were keeping it which I really want to !! I would I would fit a new floor section of the bulkhead. change the gearbox ( I will include a spare one I have for the purpose). I would add a new leaf spring or bind it with oil cloth before any mot. I would spend a week under it welding (I am a slow welder!!) Needs clutch sorting at same time as gearbox swap. No idea of condition of brakes. Most of the electrics worked when I played with them but I would check all and replace lights etc. Think thats the crux of it. Sold as spares or repair. You are welcome to view by agreement as it is stored elsewhere. Collections is roughly from the the CB24 8RH area. You will need a trailer. IT WILL NOT DRIVE AWAY!! Please ask any questions. Don't ask for a buy it now price, offer me one and I will let you know! Cheers. It is tax exempt so once it is running you will save £220 ish every year in road tax and historic insurance is £100 a year. How cheap is that to run a 4x4!!!! If you wanted to set up as a man with a van or trades business this would be perfect. TO CONFIRM..NO TAX (FREE), NO MOT AND NEEDS WORK! Thanks for looking"

These are the pics from eBay




















Now I just had to pick it up!


No comments:

Post a Comment